Friday, January 28, 2011

How should your oncologist say, "you have breast cancer"

I was 46, with no family history of breast or ovarian cancer, when I found a suspicious lump. breast kept hoping that it was benign, despite all the signs and symptoms, but the day came when my husband and I met the oncologist examination room to get my results. final pathology, this man was a Diagnostician excellent, well respected by his peers, with a great practice and many diplomas. impressive he bustled into the room, still flipping through my chart, and without looking up, he said, "Hello" and then, while still reading from certain newspapers, launched in my diagnosis. "you low grade ductal carcinoma infiltrated surrounded by invasive and you are young, so it will take at least four rounds of chemotherapy."As he spoke, I tried to translate his words in English, as well as to absorb the shock of hearing that I had a carcinoma or breast cancer. the effort required in this product tears, but since this man didn't even look at me, I kept my tears from spilling out my husband was taking notes and sitting next to me, it comes with its own feelings-that his mother had died of breast cancer before she turned 50. be brave lasted me until we walked and sitting in the car, where I cried so hard I couldn't see straight talk or. the oncologist never said anything close to, "I'm sorry.

This week, the Breast Cancer Symposium in San Antonio-SABCS-will meet people from all over the world for its 33rd year. hear technical documents, Discover the clinical and surgical, chemical progress in the war against breast cancer. experts, pharmaceutical companies, patients and patient advocates participate in search of hope, help and the opportunity to network with others in their field. some will try to profit, while others offer support services one plenary speaker., Professor Daniel Ariely, will talk about how doctors and patients interact and influence treatment choices by that interaction that make. patients before his speech, he is taking a survey of oncologists, asking them how they give to patients bad news. Dr. Ariely is James b. Duke Distinguished Professor of psychology and behavioral Economics at Duke University who specializes in ways that we make decisions that find that although we can feel in control when we must take a decision, we often irrational, that is not always bad.

Oncologists are not usually trained in communication techniques. spend years learning as much as possible on cancer in all its aspects-scientific, but unless they were already great communicators, they always hand out the bad news of a diagnosis of breast cancer in a way that helps their patients cope with the emotional impact and fallout that often occurs, so I'm curious to see how how you want to an oncologist to talk with you about your diagnosis and comprehensive take home my poll, and if my replies are not for you, make up your or leave a comment to explain. There are no wrong answers-we all have different communication styles and different expectations from our doctors ... Let me know how you want to hear the bad news.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment